from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A hinged valve that permits fluids to flow in only one direction and clacks when the valve closes.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a simple valve with a hinge on one side; allows fluid to flow in only one direction


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.