from The Century Dictionary.
- Distinguishing a class or classes: as, a classific mark.
- Relating to classification; classificatory; taxonomic.
- Making, constituting, or lying at the foundation of classification, or of a system of classification.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Characterizing a class or classes; relating to classification.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective Characterizing a
classor classes; relating to classification.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The essential feature of the kinship terminology is the reckoning from ego, whereby each individual remembers his own relation to every other member of the clan or tribe; and commonly the kinship terms are classific rather than descriptive (i.e., a single term expresses the relation which in English is expressed by the phrase "My elder brother’s second son’s wife").