from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Formerly an allowance of two pounds in every three hundredweight after the tare and tret are subtracted; now used only in a general sense, of small deductions from the original weight.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Formerly an allowance of two pounds in every three hundred weight after the tare and tret are subtracted; now used only in a general sense, of small deductions from the original weight.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In com.: Formerly, an allowance of 2 pounds in every 3 hundredweight on certain goods, after the tare and tret were taken, that the weight might hold out in retailing.
- n. Now, in England, any deduction or allowance from the gross weight. Also written clough.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
* PB haz tukt in teh tablol cloff unda himz chin *
* Runz awraond wib teh drinkz trawlly nd serbs ebbreewun nawt-sekkund, tehn sitz daon nd tuks teh cloff unda himz chin *
* PB setz teh eggstra larj tablol faw ebbrewun wib a jie norm us tablol cloff nd hung dredz ob plaitz *
Ai haz boi buffink cloff iffin sum ob teh YNGs is not lukking so buff.
Ai wud tu iyf Ai hadda sittes dere wif a taybul-cloff awn mai hed;
Heerz a floofy warsh cloff… anna kullerd aig 4 yoor baskit, anna chawklit bunny, anna inbitayshun 4 Eester dinner.
Soffens it laike tearree cloff an geds ridda borring tekschur to sumpin moar incheressin an originul.
Ai wuns had 2 pikk up teh cloff awn teh tabul wiv ebbryfing innit bai teh cornerz an dump it in anuvver room an shut teh dore wen a neighbour foned an sed she waz bringin me sumfing in 5 minnits!
August 12, 2008 at 6:52 am bee shuer 2 put in da soffener cloff
U gotz 2 put teh cloff en plastik ornamintz onna bottum, so wen kitteh steelz dem en playz wif dem en pushiz dem down teh stayrz u ken juss pik dem up en put dem onna tree agen.