from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun Decorative enamelwork in which metal filaments are fused to the surface of an object to outline a design that is filled in with enamel paste.
  • noun The art or process of producing such enamelwork.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • Having partitions; partitioned.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • adjective Inlaid between partitions: -- said of enamel when the lines which divide the different patches of fields are composed of a kind of metal wire secured to the ground; as distinguished from champlevé enamel, in which the ground is engraved or scooped out to receive the enamel.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun Alternative spelling of cloisonne.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • adjective (for metals) having areas separated by metal and filled with colored enamel and fired
  • noun enamelware in which colored areas are separated by thin metal strips


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[French, past participle of cloisonner, to partition, from Old French cloison, partition, from Vulgar Latin *clausiō, clausiōn-, from Latin clausus, past participle of claudere, to close, lock.]


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.