from The Century Dictionary.
- Being of the same order, or of the same rank or degree; not subordinate: as, two courts of coordinate jurisdiction; coördinate clauses.
- In mathematics, using or pertaining to systems of coördinates
- noun Something of the same order, degree, or rank with another or others.
- noun In mathematics, a magnitude belonging to a system of magnitudes serving to define the positions of points, lines, planes, or other spatial elements, by reference to a fixed figure; hence, also, a magnitude of a system serving to define the elements of a continuum, in general, as geometrical coördinates do positions in space: thus, the latitude, the longitude, and the height above the mean sea-level are the three coördi nates commonly used to define the position of a meteorological station. See
- To place or class in the same order, division, rank, etc.; make coördinate.
- To place, arrange, or set in due order or proper relative position; bring into harmony or proper connection and arrangement.
- Specifically, to combine in consistent and harmonious action, as muscles.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Equal in rank or order; not subordinate.
- adjective adjectives disconnected as regards one another, but referring equally to the same subject.
- adjective conjunctions joining independent propositions.
- noun A thing of the same rank with another thing; one two or more persons or things of equal rank, authority, or importance.
- noun (Math.) Lines, or other elements of reference, by means of which the position of any point, as of a curve, is defined with respect to certain fixed lines, or planes, called
coördinate axesand coördinate planes. See Abscissa.
- noun See under
- noun the latitude and longitude of a place, by which its relative situation on the globe is known. The height of the above the sea level constitutes a third coördinate.
- noun coördinates made up of a radius vector and its angle of inclination to another line, or a line and plane; as those defined in (b) and (d) above.
- noun coördinates the axes of which intersect at right angles.
- noun coördinates made up of right lines. Those defined in (a) and (c) above are called also
- noun elements of reference, by means of which the position of a point on the surface of a sphere may be determined with respect to two great circles of the sphere.
- noun coördinates of a point in a plane, consisting of the three ratios which the three distances of the point from three fixed lines have one to another.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb Alternative spelling of
- noun Alternative spelling of
- adjective Alternative spelling of
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.