from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A gaseous mixture produced by the destructive distillation of bituminous coal and used as a commercial fuel.
- n. The gaseous mixture released by burning coal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The poisonous gas, used domestically for cooking etc and formerly for lighting, prepared by heating coal with steam; it is a mixture of hydrogen and carbon monoxide; synthesis gas or town gas.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a variety of carbureted hydrogen, procured from bituminous coal, used in lighting streets, houses, etc., and for cooking and heating.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The gas which is given out by burning coal.
- n. A mixture of gases and vapors, chiefly combustible, which is employed to produce the gas-light in common use.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. gaseous mixture produced by distillation of bituminous coal and used for heating and lighting
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.