from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A gaseous mixture produced by the destructive distillation of bituminous coal and used as a commercial fuel.
- noun The gaseous mixture released by burning coal.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The gas which is given out by burning coal.
- noun A mixture of gases and vapors, chiefly combustible, which is employed to produce the gas-light in common use.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun petrochemistry The
poisonousgas, used domesticallyfor cookingetc and formerly for lighting, prepared by heating coalwith steam; it is a mixture of hydrogenand carbon monoxide; synthesis gasor town gas.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun gaseous mixture produced by distillation of bituminous coal and used for heating and lighting
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.