from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A narrowing or constricting, especially of the aorta or of a blood vessel.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun Confinement; restriction to a narrow space; restraint of liberty.
- noun Pressure; contraction; specifically, in medicine, the contracting or lessening of the diameter of a canal, as the intestine or the urethra, or the contraction of a cavity.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun obsolete Confinement to a narrow space.
- noun obsolete Pressure; that which presses.
- noun (Med.) A stricture or narrowing, as of a canal, cavity, or orifice.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun medicine A
stenosis, especially of the aorta.
- noun obsolete
confinementto a narrow space
- noun obsolete
pressure; that which presses
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun tight or narrow compression
- noun (biology) a narrowing or constriction of a vessel or canal; especially a congenital narrowing of the aorta
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Distinct from this diffuse and moderate stenosis at the isthmus is the condition known as coarctation of the aorta, or marked stenosis often amounting to complete obliteration of its lumen, seen in adults and occuring at or near, oftenest a little below, the insertion of the ligamentum arteriosum into the aorta.
That almost certainly meant the boy had a "coarctation," or blockage of his aorta, which is the key pipeline supplying oxygen-rich blood to the body.
When an infant has severe coarctation of the aorta, in most cases a doctor in the birth hospital will notice symptoms.
It is important that children born with coarctation of the aorta continue to see a cardiologist.
In a child with coarctation of the aorta, the aorta is too narrow at the portion just after the upper-body arteries branch off - this obstructs blood flow.
Most children who have repair of coarctation of the aorta recover completely and won't require additional procedures.
A surgical procedure performed to repair coarctation of the aorta, using part of the left subclavian artery as a patch to enlarge a narrowed aorta.
If the narrowing is mild, coarctation of the aorta might not be diagnosed until the child is older or even an adult.
Would you recommend a ketogenic diet like Protein Power for one who was born with subaortic stenosis and coarctation narrowing of the aorta?
C. Crafoord and G. Nylin, Congenital coarctation of the aorta and its surgical treatment, J. Thoracic Surg.,