from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A painter skilled in achieving special effects with color.
- n. A hairdresser who specializes in dyeing hair.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who colors; an artist with a talent for coloring
- n. A hairdresser who is a specialist in colouring and tinting hair.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who colors; an artist who excels in the use of colors; one to whom coloring is of prime importance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of those who upheld the theory that the sensation and phenomena of heat are attributable to a fluid called caloric.
- n. One who colors; a painter; especially, when used absolutely, a painter whose works are notable for beauty of color.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a painter able to achieve special effects with color
The importance of accepting that I am an outsider to eighteenth-century society, that no amount of enthusiasm or belated participation will ever make me into an eighteenth-century colorist, is one lesson I have learned from this discipline.
Even though the colorist is a lot more expensive, if you're at least breaking even, it's a more cost-effective way to work.
MOVIE REVIEW: The Correct Title should be Transformers: Overkill of the Fallen John Higgins is best known as the colorist of the Alan Moore / Dave Gibbons classic graphic novel,
When making comic books, the colorist is the only person responsible for the finished product; the contributions of the writer, artist, and letterer don’t count, because they weren’t the last ones to contribute.
(If you're not familiar with the highly specialized world of modern superhero comics such as what a 'colorist' does), a nice, brief primer can be found here.)
I'm not a good colorist and still pretty new to it.
At first, Willie, vivacious and exotically handsome, was a clothing salesman; later, he became a personal assistant to a hair salon colorist.
At this point, the colorist handed in these color guides to the editor and got paid for the work.
Furthermore, Quitely's and colorist Alex Sinclair's full-page image of the Dynamic Duo's descent (Robin in the lead, as shown in thumbnail here) lacks the deep, black shadows that have dramatized Batman stories for seventy years.
Each color on the chart had a corresponding code, and the coloring wasn't complete until the colorist coded the stack of photocopies ....