from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Services volunteered by individuals or an organization to benefit a community or its institutions.
- n. Similar work performed by law offenders to serve a sentence in lieu of or in addition to jail time.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Service or activity done for the benefit of the community at large, such as cleaning, fundraising, pro bono professional services, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a service that is performed for the benefit of the public or its institutions
- n. an unpaid service for the benefit of the public that is performed by lawbreakers as part (or all) of their sentence
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Mr. Clemente had a distinguished record of community service work.
Anyway, Laura was going to the college, but she was also doing some community service helping out families who were having difficulties, and somehow she got acquainted with Mabel Baggett.