from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An unusual object that arouses comment or interest.
- n. A genre painting, popular especially in the 18th century, depicting a group of fashionable people.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An unusual item, such as a painting, or a tabletop knick-knack which encourages comment from visitors, and so helps to break the ice.
- n. A painting of a group of people engaged in conversation or some other activity, popular in 18th century.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. something interesting that stimulates conversation
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.