from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various venomous snakes of the genus Micrurus, native to tropical America and the southern United States, characteristically having brilliant red, yellow, and black banded markings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various venomous snakes of the genera Micrurus and Micruroides, native to tropical South America and Southern USA and having bright bands of red, yellow and black.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small, harmless, South American snake (Tortrix scytale).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of many different serpents, some of which are venomous and others not, which are marked with red zones, suggesting the color of coral.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various venomous elapid snakes of Asia and Africa and Australia
- n. any of several venomous New World snakes brilliantly banded in red and black and either yellow or white; widely distributed in South America and Central America
Sorry, no etymologies found.