from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A machine that corrugates material.
- n. The corrugator supercilii, a narrow pyramidal muscle at the medial end of the eyebrow.
- n. The corrugator cutis ani, a thin stratum of involuntary muscular fibre that radiates from the anal orifice.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A muscle which contracts the skin of the forehead into wrinkles.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy, a muscle the action of which contracts into wrinkles the part it acts upon: as, the corrugator supercilii, one of a pair of small muscles situated on each side of the forehead, which contract or knit the brows.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
For this reason, Charles Darwin called the corrugator the muscle which controls this movement “the muscle of difficulty.”
Dr. Duchenne has called the corrugator the muscle of reflection; 2 but this name, without some limitation, cannot be considered as quite correct.
They analysed people after a pinpoint treatment to paralyze a single pair of "corrugator" muscles, which cause brow-wrinkling frowns.
In contrast, Havas was studying people after a pinpoint treatment to paralyze a single pair of "corrugator" muscles, which cause brow-wrinkling frowns.
Building on that research, graduate student David Havas of the University of Wisconsin-Madison decided to study people who had received Botox treatments that paralyzed one pair of their corrugator muscles, which cause the forehead to constrict into a frown.
But today, smoothing the brow by paralyzing the corrugator supercilii muscles is the work of minutes -- or so reasoned Eric Finzi, a dermatologist in Chevy Chase, Maryland.
The corrugator muscle between his eyebrows contracts into three deep wrinkles.
The summer people look up, their corrugator muscles contracted, their eyebrows pulled together.
Grace looks up, her eyebrows lifted, the corrugator muscle pleating the spotted skin across her forehead.
Her corrugator muscle pulls her eyebrows together above her nose.