from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various noblemen originally exercising certain royal powers within their own domains, especially a count of the Holy Roman Empire having sovereign powers in his own territories.
- n. A feudal lord having sovereign powers over his lands.
- n. The titled proprietor of a county palatine in England or Ireland.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Originally, a high judicial officer of the German emperors; afterward, the holder of a fief, to whom was granted the right to exercise certain imperial powers within his own domains.
- adj. See under Count, and County.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a count who exercised royal authority in his own domain
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.