from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun The electric ray or torpedo. See torpedo. Also called cramp-ray, numb-fish, and wrymouth.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun (Zoöl.) The torpedo, or electric ray, the touch of which gives an electric shock. See electric fish, and torpedo.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun The torpedo, or electric ray, whose touch gives an electric shock.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun any sluggish bottom-dwelling ray of the order Torpediniformes having a rounded body and electric organs on each side of the head capable of emitting strong electric discharges


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.