from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. Chiefly British A refreshment, consisting of scones, jam, and clotted cream served with tea, usually served in the afternoon.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. a light afternoon meal consisting of scones, jam and clotted cream served with the drink tea


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • (n): A cream tea, Devonshire tea or Cornish cream tea is tea taken with a combination of scones, clotted cream, and jam. I personally think that the Cornish cream tea is the finest and they traditionally use what is called a "split" instead of a scone. The split is a small sliced sweetened bread roll. The scone or the split should be buttered first then topped with jam and then topped with the best part, the clotted cream.

    January 21, 2008