from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of various lobe-finned fishes, including the coelacanths but usually not the lungfishes. No longer in scientific use.
from The Century Dictionary.
- In ichthyology, belonging to or of the nature of the Crossopterygia or Crossopterygidæ; pertaining to the Crossopterygia. Also
- noun One of the Crossopterygia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective (Zoöl.) Of or pertaining to the Crossopterygii.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective zoology Of or pertaining to the Crossopterygii.
- noun zoology One of the Crossopterygii.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun any fish of the order Crossopterygii; most known only in fossil form
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
Of particular importance is the presence of the crossopterygian group, typified by Eusthenopteron foordi and Elpistostege watsoni.
Look at the comparison of the oldest known amphibian skeleton, Ichthyostega IK-the-o-STAY-ga, with a crossopterygian fish shown in Figure 4-8.