from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A brownish-yellow, foul-smelling oil obtained from the seeds of a tropical Asian shrub or small tree (Croton tiglium) and formerly used as a drastic purgative and counterirritant. Its use was discontinued because of its toxicity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dark yellow, acrid oil, obtained from the seeds of plants of the genus Croton, once used as a drastic purgative.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a viscid, acrid, brownish yellow oil obtained from the seeds of Croton Tiglium, a small tree of the East Indies. It is a most powerful drastic cathartic, and is used externally as a pustulant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A vegetable oil expressed from the seeds of the Croton Tiglium. See Croton.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. viscid acrid brownish-yellow oil from the seeds of Croton tiglium having a violent cathartic action
Sorry, no etymologies found.