from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A soda-lime optical glass that is exceptionally hard and clear, with low refraction and low dispersion.
  • n. A form of window glass made by whirling a glass bubble to make a flat circular disk with a lump left in the center by the glass blower's rod.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. See under Glass.
  • n. a variety of glass, used for making the finest plate or window glass, and consisting essentially of silicate of soda or potash and lime, with no admixture of lead; the convex half of an achromatic lens is composed of crown glass; -- so called from a crownlike shape given it in the process of blowing.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A good quality of common blown window-glass.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a glass blown into a globe which is later flattened and spun to form a disk
  • n. optical glass of low dispersion and low refractive index


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.