from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In grammar, a noun whose originally normal inflections have been disguised by phonetic changes, as by hidden umlaut, quasi-gemination of semi-vowels, contraction, etc., so that the resulting forms are irregular. An example is, in Anglo-Saxon, nominative man, dative men, plural men, whence English man, plural men.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.