Help Wordnik hunt for a million missing words by backing our Kickstarter!


from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In book-decoration, an ornamental piece or pattern often inserted at the foot of a page when the letterpress stops short of the bottom, as at the end of a chapter.
  • n. Hence In other decorative work, an arabesque of a similar form.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.