from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. See cyma.
  • n. The topmost molding of a classical cornice.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A molding on the cornice.
  • n. A type of molding that is wavelike in form.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A capping or crowning molding in classic architecture.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In architecture, a cyma; a molding composed of the cyma.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. (architecture) a molding for a cornice; in profile it is shaped like an S (partly concave and partly convex)


Latin cȳmatium, from Greek kūmation, diminutive of kūma, cyma; see cyma.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the Latin cȳmatium ("an ogee”, “an Ionic volute"), from the Ancient Greek κυμάτιον (kūmation), the diminutive form of κῦμα (kūma, "wave”, “billow"), whence cyma. (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.