from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A lantern whose light can be blocked, as by a sliding panel.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A lantern with a panel that slides to block the light.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • adj. See Lantern.
  • n. a lantern with a single opening, which may be closed so as to conceal the light; -- called also bull's-eye.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a lantern with a single opening and a sliding panel that can be closed to conceal the light


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • His dark lantern fell clattering to the naked shiprock with Dace's old knife, and darkness rushed upon them.

    Calde of the Long Sun


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.