from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The fixed position of a dog in pointing game.
- noun A determined effort or attempt; a pointed attack: as, to make a dead-set in a game.
- noun Opposition; resolute antagonism; hostility: as, it was a dead-set between them.
- noun A concocted scheme to defraud a person in gaming. Grose, Slang Diet.
- Extremely desirous of, or determined to get or to do, something: generally with on or upon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun hunting The rigid pose a hunting dog assumes when pointing out game to a hunter.
- noun figuratively By extension, a determined effort.
- adjective unswervingly dedicated; resolutely determined
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective fixed in your purpose
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.