from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The rigid pose a hunting dog assumes when pointing out game to a hunter.
- n. By extension, a determined effort.
- adj. unswervingly dedicated; resolutely determined
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. See under Set.
- n. A concerted scheme to defraud by gaming; a determined onset.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The fixed position of a dog in pointing game.
- n. A determined effort or attempt; a pointed attack: as, to make a dead-set in a game.
- n. Opposition; resolute antagonism; hostility: as, it was a dead-set between them.
- n. A concocted scheme to defraud a person in gaming. Grose, Slang Diet.
- Extremely desirous of, or determined to get or to do, something: generally with on or upon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. fixed in your purpose
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.