from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A frame used in making paper by hand to form paper pulp into sheets of a desired size.
  • n. A deckle edge.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A paper-making instrument which limits the pulp, and consequently the size of the resulting paper.
  • n. The fattier point-cut end of a brisket of beef.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A separate thin wooden frame used to form the border of a hand mold, or a curb of India rubber or other material which rests on, and forms the edge of, the mold in a paper machine and determines the width of the paper.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In paper-making: In hand paper-making, a rectangular frame laid upon the wire mold on which the paper-pulp is placed, to confine it within the limits of the required size of sheet; in machine paper-making, a belt of linen and caoutchoue placed on either side of the apron, to keep the pulp from spreading out laterally and making the paper wider than is desired.
  • n. The rough or raw edge of paper; specifically, the ragged edge of handmade paper, produced by the deckle.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. (paper making) a frame used to form paper pulp into sheets
  • n. rough edge left by a deckle on handmade paper or produced artificially on machine-made paper


German Deckel, from Decke, cover, from decken, to cover, from Middle High German, from Old High German decchen; see (s)teg- in Indo-European roots.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
German Deckel, diminutive of Decke ("covering"). (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.