from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An officer in command of ten men in the army of ancient Rome.
- n. A member of a municipal senate in ancient Rome who ran local government.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An officer in charge of ten men in the ancient Roman army.
- n. A member of local government in ancient Rome.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A head or chief over ten; especially, an officer who commanded a division of ten soldiers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An officer in the Roman army who commanded a decury, or a body of ten soldiers.
- n. Any commander or overseer of ten; specifically, a tithing-man.
- n. In Roman history, a member of the senate of a colony or of a municipality; a town-councilor.
- n. A member of the great council of an Italian city or town.
Your work officers of your labor legion will select their representative, called a decurion, from among your ranks.
The Jesuits organized each class in subdivisions; each division being headed by an advanced pupil called a decurion, to whom the boys recited their lessons at stated times, while the teacher corrected exercises or heard the lessons of particular pupils.
All this tends at least to prove that we should read "decurion" for
A manipular tribune cannot be cross posted as a decurion.
A turma of new recruits was being drilled by a frog-throated decurion who seemed capable of cursing in three languages.
He made it part of the way, but after he had fallen a couple of times, the decurion drafted one of the onlookers, a big husky black man, probably a visitor from Cyrene, and put him to carrying the, cross.
The decurion had six men in his escort squad: two Syrians, a Gaul from Messilia, one member of the Tuetonii tribe of Germans, and two men from the northern Latin provinces.
Corio was as rigid in his demands as a Roman decurion.
While they were doing so, the decurion returned bitching.
The decurion in charge of the unit cursed at the sweat rolling down his own back and soaking the leather armor surrounding his chest and abdomen.