from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The common people; the populace.
- n. The common people of an ancient Greek state.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Plural of demo.
- n. The common populace of a state, the people.
- n. municipality, an administrative area covering a city or several villages together
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Greek antiquity, the people; the public; the commonwealth.
- n. The populace; the common people.
- n. Also demus.
- n. In sociology, a people which has outgrown the tribal system and is organized on the basis of neighborhood and varied modes of coöperation instead of on the basis of blood-kinship; a social body which, since blood-relationships are no longer important, includes individuals of various lineages or nationalities.
I've come to the conclusion that democracy must fail because the demos is either too ignorant or unintelligent for it to work.
This looked fast enough in demos; then again, doesn't everything?
Kim Moser has lovingly captured a bunch of old Commodore PET and C-64 demos from the late 1970s and early 1980s, and saved them as movies you can play online.
I got the demos from a good friend in the UK, who asked me to listen to them and see what I thought.
Comments (3) moa: actually the swedish word for demos is the same as the english one ...
The album features final cuts of the demo songs that I'd posted here as well as versions of the other demos from the Tramavirtual site, but everything on the CD is tight as a drum - the tracks are totally dialed.
Someone should take Eppink aside and quietly explain the meaning of the word demos and then point out that there is no European demos, without which electing an EU president would be a meaningless charade.
Classmate and Dell 2110 are both long-term demos, letting me do everything from travel to teach with them, as well as getting a variety of kid impressions of the two units.
The students in my combined CSC494 / CSC2125 consulting course are doing their end-of-term demos from 1: 30-3: 00 pm on Tuesday, April 14, in the Graduate Student Union at the University of Toronto.
Democracy (from the Greek 'demos' -- the people -- and 'kratia' -- rule or power) had been hijacked by the extremists.