from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various insects of the order Dermaptera, including the earwigs, having an elongated flattened body equipped with a pair of pincerlike appendages at the posterior end.
- adj. Of or belonging to the order Dermaptera.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various insects of the order Dermaptera; earwig.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the Dermaptera.
- n. One of the Dermaptera.
From New Latin Dermaptera, order name : derma- + Greek ptera, pl. of pteron, wing; see -pter.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
On Saint Helena there existed, at least until recently, a species of giant earwig—the world’s largest and no doubt most repulsive dermapteran insect.