from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. One that diffuses, as:
  • n. A light fixture, such as a frosted globe, that spreads light evenly.
  • n. A medium that scatters light, used in photography to soften shadows.
  • n. A device, such as a cone or baffle, placed in front of a loudspeaker diaphragm to diffuse the sound waves.
  • n. A flow passage in a wind tunnel that decelerates a stream of gas or liquid from a high to a low velocity.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. Any person or thing that diffuses
  • n. A device designed to diffuse a scent efficiently
  • n. Any device that or spreads out or scatters light, making the light appear softer
  • n. A shaped section of a car's underbody which improves the car's aerodynamic properties
  • n. A mechanical device that is designed to control the characteristics of a fluid at the entrance to a thermodynamic open system
  • n. An aerating device consisting of a membrane with fine pores, through which air is blown to generate small bubbles
  • n. A cooking item that can be placed above a stove heating element or burner to separate the cooking utensil from the heat source

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. One who, or that which, diffuses.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. One who or that which diffuses; specifically, in physics, an apparatus consisting of a number of thin metal plates, designed to conduct away the heat of a thermoelectric battery by exposing a large surface to the air. Also spelled diffusor.
  • n. In electricity, a reflector placed above an arc-lamp for the purpose of more uniformly distributing its light.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. baffle that distributes sound waves evenly
  • n. optical device that distributes the light of a lamp evenly


from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

diffuse +‎ -er


  • The upper deck of a double-decker diffuser is fed by airflow from apertures located underneath the car, in the vertical wall joining the step plane and the reference plane.

    Archive 2009-04-01

  • A polycarbonate and acrylic diffuser is positioned in the centre.

    New lighting from Yellow Goat Designs

  • To cure this, we can add a bigger "diffuser" - a piece of bodywork shaped to channel air out from underneath the car in a controlled way.

    The Guardian World News

  • Pace-setters Brawn and the in-form Toyota and Williams teams are all using the diffuser, which is said to be worth an extra half a second per lap.

    BBC News | News Front Page | World Edition

  • Even the much debated issue with the cars 'diffuser showed that Ross Brawn has made his calculations right and the diffuser is the last thing he counted on for winning.

    SofiaEcho RSS feed

  • Regarding #8 and supplementary lighting, what kind of diffuser do you use?

    Build Blog » An Architect’s Philosophy of Photography

  • I'm meeting with the guy from Solatube at the site on Saturday, so any specific advice (eg; using multiple smaller lights to avoid shadows rather than one big one, using specific kind of diffuser, etc, would be really helpful if you can think of any.)

    skylight tubing

  • The solution is to "bounce" your flash, when possible, off of a ceiling or wall so that the light hits your subject indirectly, or to use some kind of diffuser in front of the flash to soften the light.

    The Earth Times Online Newspaper

  • Following the 'diffuser' protest of Ferrari, Red Bull and BMW against Williams, Brawn and Toyota, Sir Frank's team announced in a dramatic political u-turn after Saturday qualifying in that it believed the Ferrari and Red Bull teams to be running illegal devices themselves, possibly regarding the sidepods of the cars.

  • There are a couple of possibilities as far as the 'diffuser' is concerned. Forum


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.