from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various fishes of the group Dipnoi, which includes the lungfishes, characterized by modified lungs that enable them to breathe atmospheric air.
- adj. Of or belonging to the Dipnoi.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several fish, of the family Dipnoi, that have modified lungs and can breath out of water
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or having the characters of the Dipnoi. Also dipneustal.
- n. One of the Dipnoi; a lung-fish.
From New Latin Dipnoī, order name, from Greek dipnooi, pl. of dipnoos, having two apertures for breathing : di-, two; see di-1 + pnoē, breath (from pnein, to breathe; see pneu- in Indo-European roots).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)