from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of laying down arms, especially the reduction or abolition of a nation's military forces and armaments.
- n. The condition of being disarmed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The reduction or the abolition of the military forces and armaments of a nation, and of its capability to wage war
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of disarming.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of disarming; the reduction of military and naval forces from a war to a peace footing: as, a general disarmament is much to be desired.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. act of reducing or depriving of arms
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Reducing anger and jealousy on an individual level - what he termed 'inner disarmament' leads to 'external disarmament' on a wider level, he said.
Attempting to de-link nonproliferation from disarmament is a fool's game.
"I think a verbal disarmament is absolutely necessary" when talking about global exchange rates, said Axel Weber, who is also president of Germany's Bundesbank.
The existence of the letter has been closely held, with the administration insisting to its partners in disarmament talks with North Korea that it not be publicly discussed.
April 9th, 2010 10: 01 am ET kids on a playground. that's what palin thinks nuclear disarmament is all about. that says it all. jenifer johnson
Pros: in most cases, unilateral disarmament is welfare-optimizing for us over the status quo.
Unilateral disarmament is NOT in our national interest
Unilateral disarmament is NOT in our national interest, in fact, is is 180* diametrically opposed - = Qwak = -
We are never going to lead the way in disarmament if we do not start somewhere, or is this just another aspiration?
Eluchil: I hate to be an apologist for the ICJ but the claim that nuclear disarmament is mandated by international law is backed up by the text of the NPT.