from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To disguise (one's intentions, for example) under a feigned appearance. See Synonyms at disguise.
- intransitive v. To conceal one's true feelings or intentions.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To practise deception by concealment or omission or by feigning a false appearance.
- v. To hide or disguise by adopting a false appearance.
- v. To connive at; to wink at; to pretend not to notice.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Feigning; simulating; pretending.
- intransitive v. To dissemble; to feign; to pretend.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To simulate the contrary of; cause to appear different from the reality.
- Synonyms Simulate, Disguise, etc. See dissemble.
- To practise dissimulation; make pretense; feign.
- Dissembling; feigning.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. hide (feelings) from other people
We have not the strength with which to fight this man; we must dissimulate, and win, if win we can, by craft.
Gaddis also explained why diplomats must dissimulate and are therefore not only frustrating to historians but misunderstood by all sides in politics:
But the Internet has inundated us with information delivered through an array of online services "so vast and incomprehensible that we can't dissimulate," says Juels.
It allows that it is permissible "to dissimulate" or not tell the truth to pagans, non-Muslims and even backsliding or apostating Muslims this of course depends upon who makes the judgement about who is doing the "backsliding" or "apostasy".
It allows that it is permissible "to dissimulate" or not tell the truth to pagans, non-Muslims and even backsliding or apostating Muslims this of course depends upon who makes the judgement about who is doing the "backsliding" or "apostasy".â¨â¨â¨
Obama forces Jeremiah Wright to dissimulate about the nature of his church, his and their views, opinions, and achievements.
Are you suggesting that the "obligation to lie in order to dissimulate the jihad" -- taqqiya -- is never practiced by practicing Muslims?
That becomes more and more obvious as the vile acts of the current administration come to light, and instead of honestly saying, "Yes, that is simply wrong," they slither and dissimulate.
Because the West represented by people like Oliver Kamm is the West that bombed Serbia and continues to dissimulate and apologise for that wicked action.
Therefore, the idealistic solution presented above runs into the attempts to hide and dissimulate the imperial imperative of America under the guise of a war on terror.