Help support Wordnik by adopting your favorite word!


from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A flat valve hinged at one edge and opening to allow passage of fluid by pressure from below, as a trap-door is lifted. Called also a flap- or clack-valve. Two door-valves, back to back, form a butterfly-valve.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.