Help support Wordnik by adopting your favorite word!


from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In engineering, an air-passage leading downward; specifically, such a passage leading from above to the furnaces or blowers of a marine boiler.
  • n. A passage or tube leading downward through which a material, as coal, ore, etc., is poured into hoppers or carts.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.