from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A knife with a handle at each end of the blade, used with a drawing motion to shave a surface.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun Same as drawing-knife, 2.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun see drawing knife.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A joiner's tool having a blade with a handle at each end, used to shave off surfaces, by drawing it toward one; a shave; a drawshave.
  • noun A tool used for the purpose of making an incision along the path a saw is to follow, to prevent it from tearing the surface of the wood.
  • verb transitive To cut or shave with a drawknife.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a woodworker's knife to shave surfaces


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.