from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The date on which a pregnant woman is expected to give birth.
- n. The date of payment in financial arrangements.
- n. The date by which a book (or other item) borrowed from a library must be returned.
- n. The date by which a task is supposed to be completed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the date on which an obligation must be repaid
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Anyway, after Lexi’s quickie birth, my doctors decided that perhaps I should have labor induced a couple days before my due date for any future pregnancies to help ensure that I would actually be at the hospital when I gave birth.
Sometime before the due date something will come up and steal time that was supposed to be spent on the assignment—an unexpected quiz, a stomach-ache, a bad day.