from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A horn-shaped device formerly used to direct sound into the ear of a hearing-impaired person.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A conical shape designed to channel sound to the apex, which was placed in the ear, to serve as a hearing aid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. an instrument to aid in hearing. It consists of a tube broad at the outer end, and narrowing to a slender extremity which enters the ear, thus collecting and intensifying sounds so as to assist the hearing of a partially deaf person.
- n. See under Ear.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An apparatus for collecting sound-waves and conveying them to the ear, used chiefly by the deaf.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a conical acoustic device formerly used to direct sound to the ear of a hearing-impaired person
Sorry, no etymologies found.