from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In bookbinding: A rolling-tool used in gilding and decorating the edges of book-covers.
  • n. Ornament or decoration so produced on the edges of a book-cover.
  • In bookbinding, to use an edge-roll.
  • In minting, to roll the edges of the blanks so as to produce a rim.
  • To roll (a flat strip, as of steel) in a coil or helix around a cylindrical rod with the flat face of the strip perpendicular to the axis.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.