from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Alteration in excitability and conductivity of a nerve or muscle during the passage of an electric current through it.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Of or pertaining to electrical tension.
- Of, pertaining to, produced by electrotonus.
- noun The altered state of a nerve or a muscle during the passage of a galvanic current through it.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Physiol.) The modified condition of a nerve, when a constant current of electricity passes through any part of it. See
anelectrotonus, and catelectrotonus.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun biology The variation of the
excitabilityand conductivityof a nerveor muscleas an electric currentpasses through it
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The inhibitory stabilization of the membrane might be pictured as a heightening of the "resting" polarization, somewhat on the lines of an electrotonus.