from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun An instrument for describing ellipses; a trammel. Also elliptograph.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun An instrument for describing ellipses; -- called also trammel.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A mechanical instrument used to trace out an ellipse. Applied to draw, cut, etc mathematically correct ellipses (rather than general ovals).


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • Cosmo Versál swung on the stool, and played with an ellipsograph; Joseph Smith dropped his chin on his breast and nervously fingered the pockets of his long vest.

    The Second Deluge


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.