from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A branching out, as of a mountain range or river.
- n. A branch or ramification.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A branching forth, as of trees for example.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The branching forth, as of trees.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A branching out, as of trees; ramification; division.
There was no crust of stalagmite overlying the mud in which the human skeleton was found, and no bones of other animals in the mud with the skeleton; but just before our visit in 1860 the tusk of a bear had been met with in some mud in a lateral embranchment of the cave, in a situation precisely similar to b, Figure 1, and on a level corresponding with that of the human skeleton.