from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun In architecture, either of two kinds of masonry in use among the Greeks and Romans, and other peoples.
  • noun That kind of masonry, much used in ancient fortification-walls, etc., in which the outside surfaces on both sides are formed of ashler laid in regular courses, and the inclosed space between them is filled in with rubble-work, cross-stones being usually placed at intervals, either in courses or as ties extending from face to face of the wall, and binding the whole together. The term is, however, a loose one, and can be applied to any sort of masonry of greater thickness than the width of a single block, and so laid that the wall is bound together by some regular alternation of blocks placed lengthwise and endwise. Sometimes erroneously written emplection.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.