from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun In entomology, a claw-like organ which in many genera of insects is seen between the ungues or true claws.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun zoology A bristle-like or pad-like structure between the tarsal claws of Diptera.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • Arolium - ia: cushion-like pads on the tarsi of many insects: one of the lobes of the pulvillus; in Orthoptera, used only for the terminal pad between the claws: see empodium; pulvillus; palmula; plantula; onychium, paronychium, pseudonychium.

    Explanation of Terms Used in Entomology

  • Diptera; see empodium: a more or less retractile process on the feet of some beetles: in Hymenoptera, the apical tarsal joint bearing the claws: see also arolium and pulvillus.

    Explanation of Terms Used in Entomology


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.