from The Century Dictionary.
- Resembling the matter of the brain.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Resembling the material of the brain; cerebriform.
- adjective (Med.) a very malignant form of cancer of brainlike consistency. See under
- noun An encephaloid cancer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective Resembling the material of the
- noun A
malignant cancerof brain-like consistency.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
A variety of tumors attack the eyeball -- dermoid, papillary, fatty, cystic, and melanotic -- but perhaps the most frequent in the horse is encephaloid cancer.
The pigmentary, black tumors of white horses and soft (encephaloid) cancer may attack this part primarily or extend to it from the eyeball or eyelids; hairs have been found growing from its surface, and the mucous membrane covering it becomes inflamed in common with that covering the front of the eye.
Dr. George M'Lellan amputated arm and scapula in a youth of seventeen for an enormous encephaloid tumour.
The author has done this operation many times, in cases extensive and of old standing, for malignant disease, melanotic and encephaloid.