from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The person at the end of a line or row.
- noun The man in a minstrel show who sits at one end of the company and engages in banter with the interlocutor.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A man at one end of a row or line; hence, an extremist; one who takes the most advanced view of anything.
- noun Specifically In minstrel-troupes, a man who sits at an end of the semicircle of performers during the opening part of the entertainment.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a man at one end of line of performers in a minstrel show; carries on humorous dialogue with the interlocutor
- noun a man at one end of a row of people
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.