from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • transitive v. To write on the face of (a check, for example).

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • transitive v. To write or print on the face of (a draft, bill, etc.).
  • transitive v. To write or print (a memorandum, direction, or the like) on the face of a draft, bill, etc..

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To write, print, or stamp some mark or form of words on or across the face of (a note, bond, certificate, map, or the like).


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.