from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A structure that overlaps the mouth in certain insects.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A structure which overlaps the mouth of certain insects.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In entomology, a fleshy lobe beneath the labrum, forming a valve which covers the opening of the pharynx or gullet. It is best seen in the Hymenoptera. Also called epiglottis. See cut under Hymenoptera.


epi- +‎ pharynx (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.