from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • transitive v. To introduce the ethyl group into (a compound).

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • v. To react with an ethyl compound so as to introduce one or more ethyl groups into a compound

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A compound derived from ethyl alcohol by the replacement of the hydroxyl hydrogen, after the manner of a hydrate; an ethyl alcoholate.
  • transitive v. To treat in such a way as to cause the introduction of one or more ethyl groups, C2H5-.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. Same as alcoholate.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.