from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The outermost layer of the wall of certain spores.
- noun An asexual spore developed externally by budding, as from a sporophore.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The outer coat of a spore, corresponding to the extine of pollen-grains: same as
- noun An outer coat of dried protoplasm adhering to the surface of a spore, as to the resting-spores of Peronospora and Mucor.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Biol.) The extreme outer wall of a spore; the epispore.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The
outer layerof a spore, especially in some algaeand fungi
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The exospore often bears spines or warts, or is variously sculptured, and the character of the markings is often of value for the distinction of genera or higher groups.
a double wall, a thin delicate wall of unaltered cellulose, the endospore or intine, and a tough outer cuticularized exospore or extine.