from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or characterized by expectation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to an expectation
- adj. Of or pertaining to the reversion of a benefice
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Constituting an object of expectation; contingent.
- n. Something in expectation; esp., an expectative grace.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Constituting an object of expectation; giving rise to expectation; anticipatory.
- Eccles., pertaining to an expectative. See II., 2.
- n. That which is expected; something in expectation.
- n. Specifically In the Roman Catholic Church, the right to be collated in the future to a benefice not vacant when the right is granted.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
WILLIS: So, we're not talking the most expectative houses out there.
It could be used to look for the valid alternatives for the liberation of our Latin American peoples by implementing or using the disciplines of cultural and industrial sciences for the region's integration plan so that the passive role, the expectative role of Latin
Even _expectative graces_, or mandates nominating a person to succeed to a benefice upon the first vacancy, were thus sold.
This innovation was made by Innocent IV, who entrusted to them cases relating to benefices (which had increased owing to the many expectative reservations granted by this pope) and other minor ones, while he employed the cardinals in the other cases.
I think I have clearly stated my reasons for this passive, or, if you prefer it, this expectative mode of action.
Before his return, Ximenes obtained a papal bull, or _expectative_, preferring him to the first benefice of a specified value, which should become vacant in the see of Toledo.
He is young enough to forgive, and to be forgiven, the possession and the expectative, at least for some years.
I always liked gmail web interface, but I don't like using software that I can't change or see the code, so I wanted threaded view, but I was not with a very high expectative of finding it, since I've never seen it anywhere else.
We're aware that not everybody in the international anarchist movement shared our critical attitude and not a few kept to the expectative for many years regarding a process that continued monopolizing the meaning of a revolution by then devoid of any revolutionary spirit.
So the netizens are full curious with the six cute "elves" and expectative in this LG GM730e coming.