from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A sudden fall in which one lands on the face.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word face plant.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Sometimes happens as a result of an endo.

    October 15, 2007

  • Well, that's going to leave a mark.

    October 15, 2007

  • I wonder if an endo would be called an asso in Britain (where "ass (or arse) over tit" is the phrase rather than "end over end").

    October 15, 2007

  • Chained_bear, you think of the darnedest things.

    October 15, 2007